taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

If I rent out my own and only flat in London, I understand I

If I rent out my own and only flat in London, I understand I need to income tax.What can I tax deduct against the rental income? Eg depreciation of the property? Mortgage payments?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Expenses that are allowable against rental income:

- general repairs and maintenace

- utility bills

- letting agent's fees

- replacement of white goods

- service charges

- legal and professional charges including accountant's fees

Depreciation of property is not deductible

Net profit from UK property would be taxed at your marginal rate. If you are a higher rate taxpayer then you pay tax on rental income at 40%

Finally, mortgage interest relief is restricted at basic rate of 20%.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.