How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10398
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My mother might be receiving an inheritance from her aunt

Customer Question

Hello. My mother might be receiving an inheritance from her aunt close to 1 mil euros. My mother is originally from Greece (as am I) and the inheritance is based in Egypt. In case this goes forward, if my mother wants to send the money over to me in the UK (I have been residing in the UK for 9 years now) would I be taxed for the amount?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

The UK has no Gifts Tax regime and abandoned exchange control over 50 years ago so this money will come to you tax free.

Just make sure you warn your bank of incoming funds and their source to preclude any money laundering inquiries a large sum might otherwise attract.