bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am about to start a new business providing digital content

Customer Question

Hi, I am about to start a new business providing digital content and management services. It looks as though my first contract will be with a federation based in switzerland. Do I have to charge/ pay VAT either here or in switzerland? Many thanks
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no, Ive tried HMRC but can't make sense of their responses
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

If your turnover will be below 85K, the VAT Turnover Threshold, in any 12 month period you can forget about VAT altogether. Sales to Switzerland are zero rated supplies so were you VAT registered you would invoice for VAT but at a rate of 0%. Any sales would count towards the threshold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just for clarity, turnover will be higher that 85k. I am already registered as a UK limited company and registered for VAT. Can I just be clear that I would not be charging any VAT (or rather, I would charge VAT at 0%) to the company in switzerland. and- that I would not need to be registered for tax or VAT in any way, shape or form in Switzerland? Thanks

You have everything to a 'T' to use an old expression.