Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Currently undergoing a HMRC investigation I have disclosed

Customer Question

Hello, currently undergoing a HMRC investigation I have disclosed that I have joint bank accounts with my mother abroad. My mother is a foreign national and not a UK tax resident, the accounts are used primarily by my mother however the HMRC officer wishes to have sight of the statements. Since these accounts are joint and my mother in not under investigation should I provide the bank statements ?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s fine
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I don't think that you have any alternative. Do you have supporting evidence that these accounts are used primarily by your Mother?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only supporting evidence I would have would be to disclose them and prove that I don’t use them, However as a matter of principle these accounts are joint and am afraid that my mother’s deposits and transactions could be seen upon as being mine and thus tax evasion.

Which is why I mentioned supporting evidence. For example, do you hold a cheque book?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not hold anything. This is a foreign account abroad. I have no access to this account other than online access.

Can you withdraw from the account?

I am off to bed now and will respond to any follow ups in the morning.