How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10370
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a teacher returning to the uk after living abroad

Customer Question

I am a teacher returning to the uk after living abroad forc14 years. When I return I will soon become a UKresident for tax purposes. Does this mean that all my overseas earnings from April are taxable in the uk
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: I am looking ahead to tax year 20-21
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: On leaving my current job I will get a gratuity which builds up annually during the period of employment is this taxable too?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am on of the experts on Just answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

When you left the UK 14 years ago did you send a Form P85 to the Inland Revenue as it was then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure I may have done. I take it I didn't it's a problem?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

It could be a massive problem if you did not do a P85 with some twerp in HMRC leaping up and down trying to tax you on your overseas income and also apply penalties for not making tax returns. Solution, belt and braces so to speak, send one in now telling HMRC of your original departure date. Fortunately, there is no time limit on its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will classify you as non resident.

When you return to Blighty tell HMRC of the fact by letter. You will then be classified as resident for the tax year following your date of return and, furthermore, the tax tear of your return will be split into two portions, one non resident and the other resident. Thus your overseas income will be outside the scope of UK taxation as you were non resident