taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have been running a small business for three years but

I have been running a small business for three years but have only now made a profit. I have not submitted self assessment returns because no tax was previously due. Can I put b/fwd losses in as a total or do I need to submit individual returns for each year?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2018/19
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am actually trying to answer the query for a friend and do not have full access to his data. I am merely at this stage trying to establish the principles of previous years records so I can advise him how to proceed

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

As far as filing a tax return for 2018-19 is concerned, you show one figure for Loss brought forward from earlier years set off against this year’s profits - up to the amount of net profit for tax purposes for the year. (box 29 - Page SES 2 here)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874368/SA103s_-_English_Form.pdf

You are advised to file tax returns for earlier years in the event HMRC wish to make enquiries into this return because of losses brought forward.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help. This has really clarified things for us.

Thank you for your reply.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.