Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I've called HMRC to report previous years pension payment,

Customer Question

hi there. I've called HMRC to report previous years pension payment, and they've recalculated and gave me a refund. later they've asked me to do the self assessment of those 3 years... now filing the self assessment I'm super confused on the questions regarding underpayments. for example, they want me to provide the figures from the letters I've received in 2017 regarding of underpayment? or they want me to give the figures of overpayment after the recent calculations? I'm assuming I should be doing as if it was the original year and not after recent recalculations, right? if so, when I do the next year I should be filing as per the original letters again and not as per my just now filed previous year result.. am I right?
JA: Which tax year is the refund for?
Customer: ok, so I've provided pension payment data for 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, and they've recalculated in 26/feb and gave a refund
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this is it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for each of these years HMRC calculations have resulted in me owing more tax. After I provided them the pension payment figures by phone, they've recalculated and refund me about 900 pounds; so to clarify, now in completing the return for 2016-2017 should I mention the figures I owed them in the original letter they've given me? the amount outstanding was passed to next year. then in doing 2017-2018, should I give the original underpaid amount for 2016-2017 as well as the original amount passed onto 2018-2019? just as if they haven't recalculated ? or should I give the new figures I've found as repayable to me after completing 2016-2017?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Yes as you have already had refunds so they need to be taken into account - and the right amounts for the right years