taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am a teacher earning $45713 gross annual income and I also

Hi I am a teacher earning $45713 gross annual income and I also earn money from private tution (working through a company who pay me at the end of the month with the declaration of tax eing my responsibility). My question is how do I declare this.
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: It will be for the current tax year 2020-21. I have seen on HMRC that the tax declaration online should by 31st January but the tax year ends 6th April 2021.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I expect that my total annual earnings may exceed £50,000 and if I should try to avoid this. But the main thing is how t declare it. I heard about self-assessment but looks complicated.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

You state you would have additional income in the current tax year that is not taxed at source.

You should register for self assessment as self employed to declare income from private tution. You can register for self assessment as self employed here

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

You will be issued with a UTR (unique taxpayer reference number)

This income would be first declared when you file your tax return for year ending 5 Apr 2021. Deadline for filing the tax return would be 31 Oct 2021 if filing a paper tax return or 31 Jan 2022 if filing online.

Tax payable no later that 31 Jan 2022.

Self assessmnet is not that complicated.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.