taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have a question about tax.I have a second job that I have

I have a question about tax.I have a second job that I have not declared tax on and know I need to inform the tax office but I'm really concerned that they are going to give me a high tax bill. I pay tax on my main job. I work up to six hours a week on my second job.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I had a web chat with the tax office. But was too scared to give them all the info. I asked if I could be self employed for my second job and they sent me a link, not sure if I qualify. Do you know how far back they would expect me to pay back unpaid tax?
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: Neither. It is an extra job caring for a disable child.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. Is this in confidence?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Whether you are self employed or employee for the second job you would be taxed on your this income, provided you earn more than the tax free allowance of £12,500 in your main job.

You should declare this income and normalise your tax affairs with HMRC. If your total gross income is below £50,000 then income from second job would be taxed at 20%.

Are you prepared to advise what your income is from your main job and the second job?

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My total gross income is well, well below £50,000. I'm just going to look at my pay slips etc now. Can you advise how far back I would have to pay unpaid tax for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not right now, but could I call another time if I need to?

Thank you for your reply.

Please advise for how long you have had a second job and what your earnings have been.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need time to work out the earnings and how long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to leave this chat now. Can't get the rating system to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working

Thank you for your reply.

As you are a basic rate taxpayer, your earnings from second job would be taxed at basic rate of 20%.

As an example, if you earned £5,000 in the last tax year 2019-20, then your tax payable is (5,000 x 20%) £1,000.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need more clarification/information or have I answered your question.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I double checked my tax summary and I have been paying tax on my second job. I am relieved.

Thank you for yourreply.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate myservice by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.