taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My p60 is blank in the 'tax deducted' box, however some of

Hi, my p60 is blank in the 'tax deducted' box, however some of my payslips have figures in the 'Tax paid TD' section, so it doesn't add up? thanks
JA: Which tax year is the deduction for?
Customer: the p60 is for 2019/2020, ending 5th April. the payslips with 'tax paid td' are within that year - from 06/19, 07/19, 08/19 etc...
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm also unsure if the total annual pay on my p60 is before or after tax

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I'm trying to fill out my self-assessment form, hence I need to know if it's an error or something I don't understand.

Your P60 should show gross pay and tax deducted in this employment in tax year 2019-20. If you have payslips from the same employer for 06/19, 07/19 and 08/19 then these figures should be on your P60.

Can you scan and post your P60 here for me to review?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go. I covered my personal details, hope that's not a hindrance. Since I haven't used this website before so am just covering my back! thanks

Thank you for sharing the information.

According to P60 you earned £6,186.33 and there was no tax deducted.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help so far. I've attached one of my payslips that shows 295.20 by 'tax paid td', hence my confusion with the blank 'tax deducted' box on the p60
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, I'll definitely give you 5 stars. Why is it then that my payslip says tax was taken off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the company paid tax for me last year. Is it normal for them to stop paying tax for me without telling me?

Thank you for your reply.

Payslip for 08/19 showed your tax code as BR and your pay in the month was taxed at basic rate of 20%.

Later in the year your tax code must have been changed to 1250L and tax deducted was refunded as your pay in the year was below tax free allowance of £12,500.

It is not normal for the company to stop paying tax for you unless they have the tax code provided by HMRC.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, you are right about all of that! This is so useful, thank you. Can you tell me what the National Insurance deduction on this one is? I thought I had to pay my own national insurance... Have they covered me for the whole year for it, or do I still have to register myself to pay some? Since they only started doing those deductions from the 25/10 onwards, off and on. Also, what is the Advance deduction there?

Thank you for your reply.

Your salary has been taxed at source on PAYE. Where appropriate you have also paid employee NI contributions. You don't have to register yourself to pay more as your salary would have tax and NI deducted at source. I don't understand what you mean by "Also, what is the Advance deduction there?"

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the left, below the 'national insurance' deduction, right underneath the 'employee pension' deduction, there is one labelled 'Advance', with an amount of 230 listed. That's the Advance deduction that I was asking about

Thank you for your reply.

I can't see an amount of £230 on any of the attachments.

You would have to discuss this with your employer, I'm afraid. Your payslip does state if you have any queries contact the payroll team.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah sorry I attached the wrong one I think. it's on this one

Thank you for your reply.

It would appear you may have been given an advance on pay or something and it was deducted from your pay in Oct 2019.

I have answered all your questions now and I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's fine. Thank you. Yes I tried contacting my team first and asked to be forwarded on to the HR team for answers, however I was told to just google how to understand my P60 instead. :( Of course google was useless for my specific questions. So I ended up here. I will try the payroll team directly from the payslip next time. Thanks again for your help!

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your reward of a bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.