taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

When I subtract my pension contribution from p60 do I enter

When I subtract my pension contribution from p60 do I enter my ani in self assessment

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

If you attach your P60 here I will advise what entries to input on your tax return.

You should put your taxable gross pay (this would have taken off the pension contributions as you would have got tax relief at source) and tax deducted figures on your tax return.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't deduct what I have paid into company pension

Thank you for your reply.

If your pension contributions were deducted from you pay at source then you don't deduct these second time. Your P60 should show an amount which would be equivalent to gross pay less employee pension contribution (known as taxable gross).

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My p60 doesn't show pension contributions deducted

Thank you for your reply.

Your P60 would not show that. If pension contributions deducted are shown on your payslips then your P60 reflects this in arriving at taxable gross pay shown there. You don't have to deduct it from the figures shown on P60.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the gross figure is my total pay without pension contributions off as it says I should subtract this for calculations on child benefit tax

Thank you for your reply.

If you are required to show gross pay and pension contributions separately then you need to add pension contributions to the figure on P60 and show gross and contributions for child benefit tax purposes.

Your final payslip for Mar 2020 should have this information.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would enter the gross pay p60 that show all. My pension contribution on pay slip gives me a different gross figure after pension taken off therefore the difference ie let's say 100 pay pension 10.grosd pay =90

For child benefit tax purposes -

To work out if your income is over the threshold, you’ll need to work out your ‘adjusted net income’.

Your adjusted net income is your total taxable income.

You should use P60 figure as suggested earlier.

I hope this is helpful.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need more clarification/information or have I answered your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very confused I take my pension deduction before tax of my p60 number on self assessment

Please advise what form are you completing.

For your tax return, in the employment section you should show the figures on P60 as your gross pay and tax deducted. P60 would not show your contributions into a pension scheme as a separate item as it has been deducted from your gross pay to arrive at taxable pay and tax deduction.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Self assessment. However my p60 figure shows my total pay without my pension contribution deducted

Thank you for your reply.

Are you prepared to show me your P60 and Mar 2020 payslip here?

If your company pension contributions have been taken as a deduction on your payslip then P60 would show taxable gross pay (gross pay less pension contributions).

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pension is taken before tax on payslip

Thank you for your reply.

If your pension is taken before tax then tax is calculated on salary after deduction of pension contribution. This would mean that P60 figures are after pension contribution.

I don't understand where the confusion is. I can't help you anymore unless you show me the documents to confirm the figures.

I hope this is helpful.