How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10369
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a UK Citizen but live in Qatar. I have an investment

This answer was rated:

Hi there, i am a UK Citizen but live in Qatar. I have an investment ISA, which has been open for around 3 years, when i was living in the UK. Can i still legally invest through this account, while i live abroad?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: One other thing. If i were to start investing through a trading company in Switzerland, if i moved back to the UK, would i then become taxed on the my investment through the swiss trading company?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Yes, you can, but only for the tax year in which you leave the UK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about investing in through a Swiss trading account, then moving back to UK, can I still invest through it tax free?

You can keep your ISA, you can invest more within the tax year of your departure, but after that you cannot. It will remain a tax free investment.

bigduckontax and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.