waqqas memon
waqqas memon,
Experience:  Senior Manager at MMBA Accountants
106937463

Looking to buy a property for investment purposes and would

Looking to buy a property for investment purposes and would like some advice on the best tax options
JA: For which tax year do you need advice?
Customer: 2020
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi, my name is ***** ***** of the tax experts here. Before I can assist you with your query I would need to understand a bit more about your investment.1) Will you be investing on your own?
2) would you be purchasing the property with the help of a mortgage?
3) Do you have other income?
4) Are you looking to pass the property onto anyone in your family in the medium to long term future?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Waqqas, please see comments below:1) Yes
2) Yes unless I go for a pbsa which is a lower cost
3) Yes
4) No, shorter-term investment 5-10 yearsThanks
Hi, based on your answers it would be best to open a ltd company and purchase the property through the company. It would give you the structure to pay the least amount of tax specially if you have other income.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which I have looked into although I am uncertain I would be able to get a mortgage through a ltd company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, is there any additional tax benefits with buying through a limited company besides paying a lower corporation tax?
Hi tried to call you through the system but could not reach you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't receive any phone call?
For mortgage purposes they would usually look at you other income and the rental income expected on that particular property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regardless of the limited companies financials as this will be a brand new business? Is mortgage interest tax deductible when doing it through a company?
it is tax deductible for a company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OKay are there any tax deductions when paying myself the profits from the company and would there be any additional capital gains taxes?
The lenders would usually put a charge on the property, then access your personal income and finally if they require may be request a personal guarantee. Also worth discussing with a mortgage advisor but his response will most likely be on a similar note.
You can pay yourself dividends, first £2k of which has 0 personal tax and further amounts will be accessed on your personal income and be taxed at 7.5% basic rate or 32.5% if high rate tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is the issue as because I am in the higher tax bracket at the moment, I will be paying an additional 32.5% tax which makes the profits untouchable, u
nless you have another solution?
You will have the same issue if you bought it through your personal name. You can use a trust however you will need a beneficiary who does not have any income for it to be tax beneficial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood, thanks for your help
You are welcome. Last point - You can however withdraw an amount equal to the deposit from the company as you would have introduced those funds personally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that wouldn't be subject to tax?
No because you would have loaned/introduced it into the comapny to buy the company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's useful, thanks!
Buy the property*
Could you please leave a 5 star rating for my help. Much appreciated.