bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have some questions about self-employment/

Hi I have some questions about self-employment/ self-assessments in England. I intended to start self-employment towards the end of last year and I registered as self-employed which in retrospect I now know was unnecessary at that point. This self-employment however became unfeasible so I never commenced with it. I notified HMRC of this using their online form and I thought that was that. In April I received a notice to complete a tax return. I'm very confused about my situation and I know I'll have to get on the phone with HMRC at some point but was hoping for some more clarity so I'm better prepared. So, do I have to complete a tax return even though I never commenced with the self employment? And if not, what do I do? Also, how can I check that I'm definitely no longer registered as self-employed? Thanks.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question/

If HMRC tell you to must make a tax return you most comply, even if the declaration is blank if you never actually worked as such. You should make a note to that effect on the from to keep the Department aware of the position.

Thank you for your support.