Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Worked in Saudi Arabia for around 9 years now moving home

worked in Saudi Arabia for around 9 years now moving home for good due to conovirus what would be the tax situation
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: am on an Iqama meaning resident in saudi but have a uk address and was on 35/35 days

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question

If you were 35/35 days in and out then I assume you were completing self assessment tax returns anyway each year as you had not officially left the UK to work and live outside the UK but remained a resident in the UK but worked abroad so may still have had a Uk tax liability to pay Uk tax on

But from the time you start to live and work all the time in the Uk you will continue to be a UK resident and most definately liable to UK tax

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No tax returns were done during this period

How can you be sure then that you were not resident for UK tax purposes?

Did you mean to request a telephone call ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the first 3 years the work schedule was 35 on 28 off then it changed to 35/35 I also believe my company was paying some Saudi tax on my behalf due to their rules

Still you exceeded the 90 day rule over every full tax year and should have paid tax in the UK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does Saudi have a tax agreement with the UK ?

The tax paid in Saudi was not for you but with holding tax by your company

But you were not a permanant resident so tax would have remained due the UKbut eitehr way you legally had an obligation to declare this income to HMRC due to you being treated as remining resident

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I have to do now assuming that I will now remain in the uk?

HI

You need to contact HMRC stating that you should have been completing self assessment tax returns whilst working abroad as you continued to have residence in the UK

You need the main SA100 part of the return

SA106 Foreign income page

SA109 Residence page

HMRC can then allow you 30 days to complete and return these

Sp gather all your income details and any tax you personally paid for each tax year ready to complete these returns when received HMRC will then work out if you owe any money