bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I wanted to ask if I need to pay the duty stamp, No, No, I

Hi ! I wanted to ask if I need to pay the duty stamp
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I would only like to discuss if duty stamp is applicable for my case

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Stamp duty has been abolished, powers delegated to regional parliaments and assemblies and renamed. In what pert of the UK is the relevant property and why do you think any duty payable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, so I am planning to buy a property in UK in Dorset, and my solicitor said I may need to pay duty stamp. I have inherited a property in Poland after my father died and that is the only property I currently own.

Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) would be the relevant impost. Is the property you inherited in Poland residential?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a small, rather summer house in a tiny village, as my father only spend time in there from spring to autumn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father didn't have a will, but I am the only child to get whatever has left after him.
Why the government website says that there is exemption from paying the SDLT if the property is left in will ? That is what confused me in my situation.

There would be no UK SDLT were you to acquire a property in Poland.

Unfortunately as you own a dwelling anywhere else in the world when you buy your UK house you will pay the normal SDLT and also the 3% surcharge. If you dispose of the duplicate property within three years you can apply to the Stamp Office for a refund of the surcharge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the explanation. I was aware I might need to pay it but I hoped I will fall under exemption that is was left for me. Government website confused me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help !

UK Government web sites confuse me too at times and I am an accountant!

Thank you for your support.