How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10393
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have savings from abroad that I’m thinking to bring to the

This answer was rated:

I have savings from abroad that I’m thinking to bring to the Uk ! Is the amount taxable ?
As I came to the Uk in Jan 2010 my domicile was not the Uk ! I took nationality in 2013 !

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Domicile is usually unimportant in UK tax matters, it is residence which is the key.

You overseas savings brought to the UK would not attract taxation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for the reply .
My residence is in the Uk as I am currently spending over 8 months in the Uk !
So the source of the savings is ere-levant?Should I declare the transferred savings in a self assessment?? Thanks

No requirement at all assuming that they were accumulated before you came to the UK.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks much appreciated

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.