taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have a question about inheritance tax, no, Simple query

I have a question about inheritance tax
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Simple query about if a 'gift' can be returned to avoid inheritance tax liabilty
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: Its a future enquiry

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

A recipient of gift receives it free of taxes as there is no gift tax in the UK.

A gift is a potentially exempt transfer as far as the giver of gift is concerned.

If you return a gift, the amount is potentially added back to giver wealth.

In answer to your question, a gift can be returned but whether it would avoid inheritance tax depends on a person's wealth at the time of death.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.