taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

How are you here are my questions: No not yet. Here are my

Hello Pearl, how are you here are my questions:
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No not yet. Here are my questions. I own an apartment. I want my girlfriend to live with me. She won’t pay rent. But we are splitting the costs. Does the money she gives me taxable? I plan to rent out the second room in my apartment, do i need to add the money my girlfriend gives me to that rental income? Do I need to declare that money? Also, I bought the apartment with money my father gave me. 150 000€ was a gift and 175 000€ was a loan that I must repay. I received that money in 2019. My father is from Belgium but lives in the Netherlands. Do I need to declare it? Is it Taxable? I have also received 15 000€ from my mother in 2019 and 25 000€ in May 2020. Do I also need to declare these? Are both these gifts need to be declared and added to together?
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I am good

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

[q] I own an apartment. I want my girlfriend to live with me. She won’t pay rent. But we are splitting the costs. Does the money she gives me taxable?

[a] Your girlfriend's contributions towards the running costs is a private arrangement and out of scope of income tax. This money is not taxable.

[q] I plan to rent out the second room in my apartment, do i need to add the money my girlfriend gives me to that rental income? Do I need to declare that money?

[a] The rental income from second room is taxable and should be reported on your tax return. You could take advantage of rent a room scheme and provided rental income is less than £7,500 per annum, it would be exempt under rent a room scheme. You don't add money from your girlfriend as rental income. More information here

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

[q] Also, I bought the apartment with money my father gave me. 150 000€ was a gift and 175 000€ was a loan that I must repay. I received that money in 2019. My father is from Belgium but lives in the Netherlands. Do I need to declare it? Is it Taxable? I have also received 15 000€ from my mother in 2019 and 25 000€ in May 2020. Do I also need to declare these? Are both these gifts need to be declared and added to together?

[a] You don't have to declare gifts or loans on your tax return. YOu need to keep a note of these in the event there was an enquiry into your tax affairs by HMRC.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.