Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Am I allowed to claim for mileage if I didn't charge for it?

JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this a free service? I am a Civil Celebrant conducting funeral services in my spare time, my other role is within the NHS so PAYE!

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

As long as its deemed to be business mileage and you are out of pocket for it then you you can claim this from HMRC against income

This is not a free service you would have paid £5 to ask the question

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you Sam, I've paid my £5.00 for 7 day membership. Can I only claim business mileage from home to bereaved relatives home or am I allowed to claim for to/from the Crematorium?

You can then ask as many questions as you like within that 7 days - just remember to cancel your membership if you don't want to continue it ! You can ask questions on many topics not just UK Tax!

If you have no base from which you work - which I imagine is your home address ( as you are not just affiliated with one funeral home and possibly visit different crematoriums within your duties) then both are allowable and any other journeys you make

Its on a pence per mile basis so 45p for the first 10000 miles and 25p a mile thereafter so keep a record of miles undertaken

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you Sam, yes I work from home as a Civil Celebrant but surely I can't claim for all my mileage e.g. driving to/from the hospital for my NHS role etc etc

HI

No That's not what I aid this is just relevant to the Civil Celebrant role and deemed business mileage - your PAYE role is travel to and from work so not business mileage

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I think it was this comment 'and any other journeys you make' that confused me! Do you think there are any other things like stationary, postage etc I can claim?

HI

Sorry for the confusion I meant with respect to the Civil Celebrant role !

Why do you have stationary or postage arising ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I give the relatives a presentation copy of the service in a folder that I purchase and I occasionally post them out as well as mailings to Funeral Directors

HI

Then yes of course all allowable - but do you not get an allowance for both mileage and incidental costs like this ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No idea! I'm trying to complete my self assessement online
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yup just found it! Thank you for your help :)

HI

Because tax free payments are often paid in these roles so that would need deducting from the amount claimed

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

You are welcome

Do let me know if you require any further assistance, or, if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided