Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have had tax deductions made for a carer who is earning

Hi I have had tax deductions made for a carer who is earning under 11.5k per year during Covid 19 her 3 and have monthly time sheets had been processed under the June 2020 payroll and some 500£ deductions made is this correct procedure and more worryingly no payslip was issued until it was requested by the employee from the account company
JA: Which tax year is the deduction for?
Customer: 2020
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Sam

If earning less than £11500 a year then by year end there should be no tax deducted unless

They were on a code other than 1250L (and no week or Month 1 after it) can you provide more information from a payslip

Of Pay

Tax code used against that pay

Tax deducted

Did you mean to request phone call?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No just response need Sam to question

Please answer the questions for me please

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No call needed for £44 but I do need response to my original question please Sam

I have responded and asked you questions

Of Pay

Tax code used against that pay

Tax deducted

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will send an image but firstly if they are aware that they are processing 3.3 months of time sheets would it not be prudent to of produced individual payslips Sam
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Copy of payslip NI of £304.56 and £40.40 tax deductions plus £0.50 unknown clients contribution detuction ? sam

Whilst for tax purposes this will not matter as too much tax paid is always refunded as it works on a cumulative basis =- the National Insurance is wrong as taking too high an amount - does this happen all the time or is this anew thing?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
A new thing Sam but I am frustrated in the fact the PA is my daughter care for elderly lady in Covid -19 care home and the local authorities have incorrectly set up her payslips, also a 50p deduction in every hour has been made the nett amount in contact is £10.50 per hour less NI per month of £20.40 I believe so £3426 should be take home not £2985 a £550 error by payroll and no letters issued at all about any deductions whatsoever Sam

Then just ring the payroll and tell them by putting together 3 months payments it is calcualting both the wrong tax (that will sort itself out) and the wrong National Insurance (which will not)

I cant comment on the 50p she will have to take that up with the local authorities so this has been taken

The payslip is the letter showing the deductions - they are not obliged to provide more than that but you can report them to HMRC for misusing PAYE on your daughters pay

Link here to do this https://www.gov.uk/pay-and-work-rights

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sam So they are definitely in the wrong issuing a payslip with £304.56 in NI and only £40.40 in Tax for 1250L they have incorrectly deducted the wrong amounts in the payslip as I will need to instruct Solicitor as they are quite rude in responding and a rather bullying attitude currently with there correspondence Sam Regards Josh
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Sam did you receive my message earlier regards Josh

HI

You don't need a solicitor you just report them to HMRC and tell them thats what you are going to do as they are misuing PAYE and taking too much National Insurance

The tax WILL get refunded so that isn't an issue

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Sam your an angel in disguise I wish more people like you could assist the vulnerable currently being abused by this payroll company as these people are being paid 32% premium for the so called errors they are producing
Regards Josh

HI Josh

Then alert HMRC to investigate them and let them know as they fail to amend their mistakes and misuse the PAYE system you will let HMRC investigate them