bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a query on VAT turnover for registration purposes. I

Hi. I have a query on VAT turnover for registration purposes.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I am an accountant but need additional help
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Its a vat issue. The business runs holiday letting accomodation. They exceeded the vat threshold in terms of cash received in February 2019. However, when looking at the dates of holiday to which the payments related, on the "invoice basis" the business did not exceed the threshold until June 2019. What is the correct basis for registering for vat. The cash basis or date of stay basis?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There is also an issue on deposits received, which, for a vat registered business have a tax point of the date the deposit is received. How does this affect the registration date
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If you wish to call me to discuss, my number is ***** 359381
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help yo u with our question.

An interesting conundrum. On reflection I am of the opinion that the date of stay would be a more appropriate measure.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, is this an answer which would be acceptable to HMRC, the difference in tax between the cash basis and accruals basis is over £2,000, so it is important to get it right

I am sorry, but I peddled you duff get. You must account for VAT on a receipts basis, sorry.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thankyou

Thank you for your support.