How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15467
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I work as a Carer. The company I work for say as I work on a

This answer was rated:

Hello ,my name is Simon & I work as a Carer. The company I work for say as I work on a zero hour basis I am classed as "self employed". My last job which was also zero hours my tax code was 1250L. Now it has changed to 500T & they are deducting PAYE & HMRC from my pay. I been told by others that this is not correct. I have always paid my taxes without problems, but do not want to get into trouble for something others are doing.Please can U advise me on what to do.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I am in the UK & have been here for 5years. I willbe applying for INdefinite Leave to remain in September & so far have had a clean record
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have sent emails to the company that does our pay,as has a friend who is a private Carer & has an accountant assist her. Their answer to me was that this was the code Revenue gave them.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No other than to say I have kept records of all my payslips & have no problem showing them to U.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


They are wrong -

1) You are an employee regardless of your contracted hours

2) You can never be self employed as you work for their customers and are paid by them

3) They provide PPE and other health and safety equipment for you to wear

4) You probably wear their uniform

Your tax code should be 1250L but have you spoken with HMRC to ask about your tax code, if so and it should be 1250L report them to HMRC as operating PAYE incorrectly link here

If you have not spoken to HMRC then you need to do this and find out what your tax code is so low



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank U,do I have your permission to send this query to them as confirmation & how do I get hold of the HMRC?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** is sufficient for me to back my queries to them. Really appreciate your help.


Yes of course you can use this information in fact take this too difference between self employed and employed

Furthermore HMRC is clamping down on this misuse of agencies with their staff - as this is tax evasion in their opinion

HMRC contact details here