bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

When someone passes away and there is tax to be paid on the

Customer Question

When someone passes away and there is tax to be paid on the estate when must this be paid with in? Must this be paid in full or can it be paid over a year or so? When does the time start, is it when the estate has been agreed by all parties?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

It is usual for Inheritance Tax (IHT), at 40% over 325K, to be paid withing six months of death. No one jhas to agree to probate, although it can be opposed.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thank you and is 100% of the IHT to be paid within 6months of the date of passing?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
can you please explain your last sentence in very simple plain English for me please?

An application for probate can be opposed if the will is disputed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thank you and when does all the tax need to be paid by? All within the 6 months or part within the 6 months and the rest within the same tax year?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 days ago.

It all depends on the complexity of the estate and the speed with which HMRC clears the probate.