How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 27878
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Is this service able to advice on tax matters? citizen about

This answer was rated:

Hi, is this service able to advice on tax matters?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am EU citizen about to leave the UK, what is the procedure and which forms do I need?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: leaved in Uk for 20 years
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: sorry, my spelling, I have been living in the UK for over 20 years, and now I'm moving back to Austria, I was maninly self employed but also employed simultaniously. At the moment I am having my Uk tax rreturn for 2019/20 done by an accountant. But not sure about the next step

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’re either:

  • leaving the UK to live abroad permanently
  • going to work abroad full-time for at least one full tax year

Fill in form P85 and send it to HMRC. Include Parts 2 and 3 of your P45 form - get these from your employer if you had one this past year. Your Self Assessment is also sent in then your tax reporting will end for UK.

You are most welcome.

A 5 star positive rating is appreciated. SCROLL UP TO SEE STARS

Any call offer is site generated, not from me.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Do I need to do another taxt return for the current tax year 2020/21 as well or just 2019/20? From April 2020 up to now I only had income from Universal credit and some money from SEISS self employed income support scheme due to Corona crisis. Will I need to do a last self assessment now for that time as well or is this done automatically by HMRC when I tell them I am leaving? Thanks

The last tax year started on 6 April 2019 and ended on 5 April 2020. If you had income in UK after 5 April yes you will need to file next year too.

You are most welcome.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
But If I leave Uk now is there no way to sort out all the open/remaining tax stuff straight away? I will need to get a U1 form to confirm my time and insurance payments in UK, will I get this automatically once they receive the P85? Thank you for any help

Some things are automatic some are not.