How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9441
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a query in relation to corporation tax payment my

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Hello, I have a query in relation to corporation tax payment my accountant has been making. I was contacted by HMRC informing me that they are investigating my accountant and they wanted to know about my dealings with him. Effectively, after many hours, and producing documents etc, they said he had not paid any corporation tax from 2012 to 2015. And the figures he had paid from 2016 to 2019 were vastly different from the payment receipts he had showed me, and that I have been reimbursing him for. They've repeatedly stated the investigation is not about me but would like to use my statement as a witness statement. I am quite concerned however about how this is going to impact me, and what the implications will be for my company. Any advise/guide will be much appreciated. Many thanks.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have compiled all payment receipts sent to me by accountant, and today checked again with HMRC live chat and was given confirmation that the amount received from accountant was much less than what I was told he had paid for, and what was on the receipt. I have informed accountant about the discrepancy without accusing him of anything at this stage. I am now seeking appropriate legal advice.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything else at this stage.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answerand pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Unless your accountant comes up with an adequate explanation very quickly this is a matter for the police. Unfortunately you will be liable to HMRC for any shortfall. You should consult a solicitor with a view to making a claim against your accountant for the missing funds.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'm most grateful.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are you free to talk now?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

Yes, but I do not do telephone calls these days, they are no longer cost effective.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Understandable. Was wondering whether to press the "call me" button on the site. The chat box keeps asking me to press it and was not sure whether it was going to work for you. I think you made it very clear what to do in your original response. Do you have a firm you work with, or can you recommend one?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

Unfortunately Just Answer protocol does not allow me to make recommendations beyond the very general like, for example, a high street solicitor.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I totally understand. I'm very grateful for your help.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

Pleased to have been able to help.