taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I work in a factory making disposible surgery gowns for the

I work in a factory making disposible surgery gowns for the nhs I know i can claim for cleaning my gown but can i claim for a washing machine to clean them I am also a foster carer for a local council could I claim for a new washing machine that way
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no this is my first enquiry
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no at the moment its just the washing machine

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok if you can post it as I have to go to work soon . thanks

As a general rule, you can claim for expenses incurred wholly and exclusively for the purpose of your business.

HMRC would argue that a washing machine does not fit the criteria as you can use it for private use as well.

On the otherhand, you could claim a reasonable percentage of the cost of machine and running expenses if your activities involve providing clean clothing etc.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
many thanks

Thank you for your reply.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need more clarification/information or have I answered your question.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
you have given me some good advice and I am satisfied many thanks

I thank you for accepting my answer and for your kind words.

I'm glad I could help you resolve this today. Please follow up here if you have any other questions.

Best wishes.