Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have question about the U1 document I am about to be

Customer Question

Good morning. I have question about the U1 document I am about to be redundant and I am planning to go back to Bulgaria for few months and then return to the Uk I would like to claim U1 document for Bulgaria and get contributions over there for time being Would that somehow effect my national insurance contributions here in UK and if yes how?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really Thank you
Expert:  Sam replied 9 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 9 days ago.

Only in so far as the National Insurance you have paid here might allow a benefit claim in your own country - but that's the purpose of them when you find yourself in a position of being out of work so whether you stay here and claim or take U1 to Bulgaria with you - its just a matter of where you claim unemployment style benefits

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
basically when I come back to England after few months time this would not effect my national insurance contributions?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Sam replied 9 days ago.

No as they are merely allowing you a valid claim for unemployment, they remain as a credit against your record towards state pension in the future but if you have claimed the unemployment in Bulgaria this then might show a missing amount for state pension purposes you will need to ask the DWP to clarify this in case this then needs to be made up but as we are not yet nearing the first influx of state pension since the EU allowed crossed travel to the UK ands note this is to cease from Dec 2020 with Brexit then I cannot predict the future