Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have fostered a child and get Foster Carers allowance. How

Customer Question

I have fostered a child and get Foster Carers allowance. How is that treated on the tax return?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 19/20
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all, thank you
Expert:  Sam replied 6 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 6 days ago.

As a foster carer much of your payments are tax free so you only declare that which is above the exempt allowance which is

First £10000 per household is exempt (so where there are two of you say spouses then you each get £5000 exemption each

Then you also get a further exemption according to each week or part week you have a child placed according to their age so

Age of child

Tax relief

Under 11 £200 per child

11 or over £250 per child

If you are then paid more than that overall total you just declare the amount over and above that threshold