bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a licence for a council owned lake. I have stocked it

Customer Question

I have a licence for a council owned lake. I have stocked it with fish and run a fishing club. Should I be charged VAT by the council on my rent
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Fishing rights are a standard rated supply so the council's application of the tax is quite correct, sorry.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi I have held the licence for 9 years and this is the first year I have been charged VAT. What has changed? I own all the fish.

Nothing has changed, but the council may just have woken up to the reality of the situation. However, as you own the fish and stocked the lake, then the rental would be exempt from VAT and the council should be challenged as to their application.