Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

On divorce, it seems that my spouse maybe up for CGT on his

Customer Question

On divorce, it seems that my spouse maybe up for CGT on his share of our family home. He vacated last July 2019, we got decree nice in October 2019. I have continued to live in the house, but, due to not being able to renegotiate the mortgage, I am under offer now, the divorce is still in UK courts. What is his liability? He lives in another country due to his work changes.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not as yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a fee
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: Sure, I understand. I assume he would need to seek advice
Expert:  Sam replied 10 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 10 days ago.

Yes as its been more than 9 months since this was his main residence he will be liable to capital gains on any share of profit in the property

He should declare this to HMRC within 30 days of the property being sold and pay and gain due then also

Link here for this new legislation https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents-uk-residential-property