How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RodneyA814 Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 59
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RodneyA814 is online now

I am trying to import two cars with me as I am moving back

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am trying to import two cars with me as I am moving back to stay in UK, with the help of TOR tax relief, I would like to know
1.) my cars are 1988 and 1993 Toyota MR2, is that I can have Exemptions from vehicle approval?
2.) After I register the vehicle and have a license plate for them, do I have to road tax them even I am not going to use them in a near future?
3.) If that's the case, are there any maximum period that I have to tax a vehicle to keep the vehicle record valid?

Hello there,

1. You would have to complete the ToR1 form to apply for the Transfer of Residence relief. The HMRC will review and get back to you with their decision.

To qualify for import relief you must:

Be moving from a country outside the EU to the UK in order to live in the UK.

You are thereby transferring your normal place of residence to the UK

Have lived abroad outside the UK (and/or EU) for at least the last 12 consecutive months

Have owned and used the goods abroad for at least the last 6 consecutive months

Continue to own and use the goods (in the UK) for at least the next 12 months. You may not sell, hire, transfer, lend, pledge or give away the goods within the first 12 months after the date they were imported – otherwise you may have to pay Customs duty and VAT on disposal

Be importing the goods within 12 months of your arrival date to live in the UK

2. Yes you would have to road tax them. If you don't plan using them then you have to register them as off the road with the DVLA

3. So far as you own the vehicle and have not declared them as off the road you would need to tax them.

Hope I've answered your questions but please let me know should you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks, that's great help, do you think there are limits on the number of vehicle I can apply for ToR relief? I am planning to bring two vehicle with me

There are no limits so far as you can prove that you are importing the vehicles for your own use rather than for a business.

RodneyA814 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you