How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9409
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My father passed away. He had a will probate was granted and

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My father passed away. He had a will probate was granted and a small inheritance tax paid. However there was a claim with fscs against an investment he made where he invested 200k but lost it. The fscs has now paid the 85k to me. Are there any tax liabilities?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 6 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This was compensation for losses and thus outside the scope of UK taxation.