bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I recently received funds (approx. GBP 58k) from the sale of

Customer Question

I recently received funds (approx. GBP 58k) from the sale of a house in the UK which had been left to me in a trust by my late grandfather. No inheritance tax was due, but does this trigger the need for me to file a UK tax return or pay income tax on this amount? I am otherwise fully tax resident in the USA and have no other assets or income in the UK.
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2020
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you!
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 12 days ago.

Hello,I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

None whatsoever, inheritances in the UK are tax free in the recipient's hands. There is no requirement to file an UK tax return unless HMRC so require.