taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am trying to do my self employment tax assessment online.

Customer Question

I am trying to do my self employment tax assessment online. I have my UTR number but cannot get HMRC to give me my Government Gateway ID and password. I have used the Digital assistant, written, emailed and phoned to no avail. Help!
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Yes, I have spoken to my (ex) accountant who has given me my UTR but they don't have have my Government Gateway ID and password ***** they?
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't earn nearly enough to pay any tax and haven't for years but, having tried to register for self assessment online, I think I have to go on and complete a tax return which I cannot do without the GG id and password. Isn't that correct?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: April 2019 -April 2020
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question. It is possible your ex accountant used agent user Id and password ***** file your tax return in the past.

You need to register at government gateway and get a user id to file your tax return online. You can do that here

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services/register

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions - I am happy to help!