taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I’m trying to fill out a tax refund on a pension lump sum

Customer Question

Hi I’m trying to fill out a tax refund on a pension lump sum but I’m a bit confused on how I can claim
JA: Which tax year is the refund for?
Customer: well it’s for this year I think I’ve just received a lump sum from my pension but have been taxed quite heavily . I am in employment but I don’t earn enough to pay tax from them so I’m not sure how I would fill the form out to reclaim some of it back. I hope I’m making sense lol
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: don’t think so but he can ask any questions and I will answer as best I can. This is really new for me and I’m quite confused
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you.

Please advise if pension lump sum received before or after 6 Apr 2020

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’ve only just received it so after 6 Apr 2020

Thank you for your reply.

Ypou would claima tax repayment when you complete the tax return for year ending 5 Apr 2021.

The section dealing with it is here (I have made reference to pages etc of current tax return 2020)

Its SA100 2020 Page TR 3 boxes 11 and 12 - see here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-tax-return-sa100

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 15 days ago.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions - I am happy to help!