taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Question re capital or revenue expense re new windows and

Customer Question

Question re capital or revenue expense re new windows and boiler
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No, I have not
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, it was for a property rented in the UK while resident and working in Ireland
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you.

Please expand on your question

- how many windows replaced

- is it just boiler or whole heating system

Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 17 days ago.

HI there

Without the informationrequested in my first/previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

Replacement of windows -

If you were to replace all windows in the property then it is deemed capital improvement and costs added to purchase price fro capitl gains tax purposes.

Replacing odd window here and there is classified as repairs and maintenance and charged against rental income.

Replacement of boiler -

This expense is of capital nature and added to the purchase price for CGT purposes.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 16 days ago.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions - I am happy to help!