How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15768
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am moving back to the UK after working 16 years in

Customer Question

Hi. I am moving back to the UK after working 16 years in Switzerland. We have sold out house there and so have a considerable sum of cash plus savings to transfer back to the UK. We have paid all due taxes on the sum in Switzlerland. Our Swiss tax advisor says we should not have to pay any further tax in the UK but I want to be sure. Can you advise please?
JA: When was the property or asset sold?
Customer: The sale will complete toward the end of this November 2020 We also have some savings and some money from my pension lump some (which has also been duly taxed)
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope think that's it thanks - unless he needs to know I took my pension lump sum in November 2019
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 20 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 20 days ago.


Your Swiss advisor could be correct as the savings have arisen from your time in Switzerland the house sale (which may have been exempt due to private residence relief anyway) has taken place before your return to the UK- or are you back in the UK now and if so when did you return to the UK

I can then clarify further

Pension lump sum again can you clarify you were living in Switzerland at that time



Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks for that, Sam. We had to pay significant capital gains tax on the house sale in Switzlerland. I have been travelling back and forward a bit to the UK to sort a place to rent here but my husband has been fully resident in Switzerland throughout and we had residency permits in Switzerland until last week when we de-registered in preparation to move here - so I think you are right this has all taken place before we officially return to the UK. Is there anything I need to do to confirm what you say?
Expert:  Sam replied 20 days ago.


The question is if you were here and your husband was there - you can only be treated as being in one place as a married couple so either resident or non resident so when did you you arrive in the UK and did your husband continue to live in the marital home up to the sale date - did you go back to visit Switzerland after your return and stay in the marital home or did you husband come and stay in the Uk with you at your new abode ? officially