bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I need advice about living in UK but being employed in Irish

Customer Question

Hello I need advice about living in UK but being employed in Irish republic.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet, but would like to
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
specifically
1. Can I have a London address but be full time employed in Dublin? My employer is fine with me working remotely, and if I have to go to Dublin office I will manage those expenses as a personal expense.
2. I have a EUR foreign currency account with HSBC UK - can I use that to get my salary paid in Euros or do I need to open a bank account with an Irish bank?
3. How do I apply for a social security number (PPS) in Ireland?
4. What other tax implications do I need to be aware of under this arrangement?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

If you reside in the UK you will be liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. Under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Ireland, which precludes the same income stream from being taxed in both jurisdictions, any tax paid in the Republic is allowed as a tax credit against any UK liability. However, you have just turned the situation topsy turvey in your second post. Please clarify.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello - thanks for the response

Please clarify the position.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the situation remains the same which is
1. I do not want to move to Ireland and would like to maintain my residence in the UK.
2. I am intending to be employed by an Irish employer with my base location as Dublin and work remotely as much as possible. They will pay me like any other Irish employee through PAYE.
3. So do I need an Irish address?
4. Do I need a bank account with an Irish bank?
5. Do I need PPS? I understand this is only given to people who live in Ireland.

No, you are OK as you are.