How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9535
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I work as an online tutor for a foreign company. So my pay

Customer Question

I work as an online tutor for a foreign company. So my pay comes from abroad and it does not get taxed. I am only earning about £9000 a year and was wondering if I still have to declare this? And how to do so. Thanks
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Do you have any other form of income?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No, this is my only income at the moment.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

In theory you should self assess, but your Personal Allowance (PA) will cover this income level so there is no need to do anything. Even HMRC does not like processing returns which yield no revenue. However, if HMRC ask you to self assess you must.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh that’s brilliant. Thank you. So as I am new to the company, I will ideally climb the ladder to higher income, in which case I will need to self assess. What amount would I need to do this for?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

PA is 12.5K.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Brilliant, thank you for your help.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

Pleased tohave been of assistance.