How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9554
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have been a tax resident in France for the last 25 years,

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have been a tax resident in France for the last 25 years, and recently moved to the Uk, on 14th october, I have yet to begin earning money in the UK , and am still receiving money from france, and have several interset bearing accounts thre, including Assurance Vies. I need to know where I am for tax residence, still in France, or in UK now
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: If it would be better to close any interest bearing accounts in France, including Assurance Vies

Hello, I am one of the experts on JustAnswer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In the UK now, your world wide income will be subject to UK taxation and any tax deducted in France is allowed as a tax credit against your UK liability on the same income stream.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I understand that, but the tax year in france runs from 1st jan to 31st dec, i lived in france up until 14th october, so , so far have been paying tax this year there, what i want to know is if i remain a tax resident in France until the end of the year, or am automatically a tax resident in the uk now. I have to fill in a form for my french bank, telling them where I am a tax resident, and at the moment am unsure

In my opinion ou are resident in the UK. The spli0t year principle will apply to your residency, April to October non resident, November to following March, resident.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok, thanks

Pleased to have been of assistance.