How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9546
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I've been sent a Late Filing Penalties for year ended 5

This answer was rated:

I've been sent a Late Filing Penalties for year ended 5 April 2019.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No. Please can you tell me which Tax Period this will be for?
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was a sole trader until December 2017 and since have been employed tax deducted by my employer.Thanks.
JA: Which tax year is the deduction for?
Customer: That is what i would like to know? HMRC says for year ending 5/4/2019.

Hello, I am one ofthe experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This Penalty would be for a failure to self assess 18/19. As you ceased self employment and began PAYE employment in 17/18 a snotty note to HMRC that effect would appear in order as you were no longer self employed. It is all the fault of some ignorant twerp in HMRC with a very limited knowledge of your employment history.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I actually ceased working as a sole trader 12/2017. I know i have made a payment to HMRC since being employed.

That is in the 17/18 tax year so the error is still HMRC's.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you