bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I've been sent a Late Filing Penalties for year ended 5

I've been sent a Late Filing Penalties for year ended 5 April 2019.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No. Please can you tell me which Tax Period this will be for?
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was a sole trader until December 2017 and since have been employed tax deducted by my employer.Thanks.
JA: Which tax year is the deduction for?
Customer: That is what i would like to know? HMRC says for year ending 5/4/2019.

Hello, I am one ofthe experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This Penalty would be for a failure to self assess 18/19. As you ceased self employment and began PAYE employment in 17/18 a snotty note to HMRC that effect would appear in order as you were no longer self employed. It is all the fault of some ignorant twerp in HMRC with a very limited knowledge of your employment history.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I actually ceased working as a sole trader 12/2017. I know i have made a payment to HMRC since being employed.

That is in the 17/18 tax year so the error is still HMRC's.