How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28349
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have a client who moved to the Netherlands on 03.03.18 and

This answer was rated:

I have a client who moved to the Netherlands on 03.03.18 and worked there until 02.06.19. She came back to the UK to work from 03.06.19. She doesn't own a home in the UK as she lives with her parents. She spent 40 days in the UK during 2018/19. Is she considered non-resident in the UK for the 2018/19 tax year, and can use the Spilt year treatment for 2019/20? So only the income that she earned in the UK from 03.06.19 needs to be declared in her tax return? She has paid tax on her Dutch earnings for the time she was resident there.
Many Thanks

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Yes she can. Split Year Treatment is a tax rule for expats leaving or returning to the UK during the tax year. The rule divides the year into two parts – for one part the expat is non-resident and for the other, UK resident.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you - can I just clarify then then I do not need to declare any of her Dutch earnings on her UK tax return for 2019/20?


TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you

You are most welcome