How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 30216
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have inherited my late husbands pension pot in the Us. I

Customer Question

I have inherited my late husbands pension pot in the Us. I now want to bring it all to Uk to simplify my affairs . I have received a drawdown for a couple of years , and paid tax on that in the uk . I now wonder how much tax do I pay on a lump sum of about 300000 dollars ,
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: I have paid last years tax . Do not know when to get the lump sum . I suppose as soon as I apply
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 13 days ago.

The US will take $90000 right off the top. They tax a NON RESIDENT alien at 30% rate for tax.

The UK will allow a credit for the tax paid to US

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have the zero rating tax agreement between us and Uk . If I pay tax in the Uk on this amount that I bring back ,what percentage will I pay in the uk
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ido notwant tospeak on the phone for 44 pounds ,
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I find this site difficult to follow , please refund my card payment , I’d like to cancel this .
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 13 days ago.

There is not a zero rate for US on the pension issued.