Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Do i need to move to universal credit if my hours increase

Customer Question

do i need to move to universal credit if my hours increase to above 16
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i claim child tax credit , i am currently doing 6 hours which will go to 16 if i accept offer pay is £15 but extra is at £10 as less demanding
JA: How old was the child or children during the tax year in question?
Customer: 9
Expert:  Sam replied 14 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 14 days ago.

The trigger to change you over should only happen if the benefits you are entitled to change - so not if the existing ones increase or decrease so they should stay as tax credits in this instance

thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi what about if i want to claim working tax credit as i'm doing the 16 hours?
Expert:  Sam replied 10 days ago.

You said this was not a new claim - if its a new claim the it could change to UC as already advised

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Well I’m not sure I said it was not a new claim. Anyway you state it could does it cause a change to UC air am I entitled to add working tax credit to child tax credit ?
Expert:  Sam replied 10 days ago.

You said there was an increase that's all

I cannot advise whether you are entitled to any tax credit you need to establish this yourself as it asks for confidential information on this calculator

Link here https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator