How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7907
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I want to know why my tax code has gone from 179L to166L

Customer Question

I want to know why my tax code has gone from 179L to166L
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant.

Please advise if you are a higher rate taxpayer and/or receive any benefits in kind.
Many thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am not a higher taxpayer and do not receive any benifits
Expert: replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You may have underpaid tax in previous year that is being collected through your tax code in the current year. The normal tax code for current tax year is 1257L.

You can certainly contact HMRC and ask for a review of tax code.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.