How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10146
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I own a house that I have rented out since 2012. It is

This answer was rated:

I own a house that I have rented out since 2012. It is recognised by the Inland Revenue as my principle private residence as I live in tired accommodation to do with my job. I retire in 2022 and want to sell the house. Do I need to have the utility bills in my name for a period prior to selling?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet. We don't want to stop renting it out yet
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: In Chingford London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No not really. I will need to sell the house as I do not have a private pension

Private Residence Relief (PRR) is extended to cover the period in which you are occupying job related accommodation. There is no requirement to produce utility bills.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK thank you

Delighted to have been of assistance.