How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10167
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

L work in construction and l am CIS registered (Construction

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon, l work in construction and l am CIS registered (Construction Industry Scheme) which allows for a 20% tax deduction from source. My recent contract is in the IR35 where l am being deducted 40% by an umbrella company from source before payment. When l ask the question they said in this contract l can't use the CIS which make me wonder although the contract is also a constructional type. l ask asked them for a refund of the extra 20% tax deduction but they don't want to pay it. Can you help me reclaim that Extra 20% tax deduction?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: L live in Corby, Northamptonshire, Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: l have been communicating with them via email so far but they are still adamant to pay the over taxed money.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That is all. Like l said l work in the construction industry and am CIS registered which means that l have to be taxed on a 20% base and not 40%.

Sounds like a typical umbrella company operation. By the end of the tax year you may well find that the company has disappeared along with all the cash that has been deducted and you will be left with a tax due to HMRC. Have nothing to do with umbrella companies, most are a nothing more than a racket.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’ve written to them that l wants all the deducted 40% tax back or better still they should refund 20% over tax money to me ASAP. I need lawyer to help me get my money back as l know it’s they will run away with the money and leave me with a ta debt

Exactly, try a debt recovery action in the small claims court.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you