bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am looking for some advice re expat tax. 20/21, no

Hi I am looking for some advice re expat tax.
JA: For which tax year do you need advice?
Customer: 20/21
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was non resident (full time working overseas) for 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. Came back to the UK on 30/04/21 and left again to work fulltime overseas on 12th Nov 2020. Expect to be working full time overseas until 2023/2024. Looking to understand what my options are re making 2021/2021 a split year as I will have had too many days in the UK due to COVID so don't think I can be NR for that year

Right, let us get down to basics:

When you left in 18/19 did you send a Form P85 to your UK tax office?

When you came back in 19/20 did you tell HMRC of your arrival by letter?

When you left in November 1920 did you send a Form P85 to your tax office?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
When you left in 18/19 did you send a Form P85 to your UK tax office? YesWhen you came back in 19/20 did you tell HMRC of your arrival by letter? This should be 20/21. I didn't really come back as such, I was temporarily demobbed due to covid. Did not inform HMRCWhen you left in November 1920 did you send a Form P85 to your tax office? Remobbed to site on 12th Nov. Did not inform HMRC

Then the original P85 will probably stand and you will still be classed as non resident.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Apologies, I should have been clearer. I work rotational so due to COVID for the tax year 20/21 I have had 230 nights in the UK so well over the 90 day limit. Even with the extra 60 days potentially allowed for exceptional curcumstances I will still be over

I do not think you need worry overmuch, the COVID crisis is exceptional. There has not been a pandemic like it since the flu one in 1918. Having said that, in 1918 300 million died.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Exceptional enough for me to have 230 nights in the UK and remain non resident? 300 million dead in 1918 does however put any potential tax bill into perspective!

I have a nasty feeling that a number of countries will be ruined before we come out of the wood.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have a nasty feeling you are right

Great minds think alike!