Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My brother and I are thinking of buying a flat to rent out.

my brother and I are thinking of buying a flat to rent out. He is concerned that the rental income we will receive will take him into the 40% tax bracket.
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: 21/22
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we both inherited some money and would combine this to purchase a property. Could my brother give me his share and I could buy the property in my name only as I don't earn enough to be in the higher tax bracket.

Yes he could as long as the deeds are in your sole name